Ionian Village Summer Clergy are responsible for providing our campers with a life-transforming experience by bringing them closer to our Orthodox faith and Hellenic culture.
Clergy responsibilities at Ionian Village include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serving Orthros, Vespers, Divine Liturgy, and other services on an alternating schedule.
- Preach “sermonettes” at Vespers on an alternating schedule (3-5 minutes).
- Lead 3 Orthodox Life sessions each day.
- Assist in the coordination of Saturday “Night With God” activities.
- Hear Confessions.
- Assist, as needed, in late-night cabin discussions and other camp activities.
- Act as chaperones on Arrival and Departure Days at the airport and while on board the flights, until you have reached Greece/New York. Only in the case that there is enough coverage will you be able to extend your trip, at the discretion of the director
Below, find answers to some of the Clergy "Frequently Asked Questions"
What will my living accomodations be at camp?
-You will be assigned a bungalow, which includes twin beds, a private bathroom, closet, and mini-fridge. Sheets and towels are provided.
I have children that are of age to be in the program, but they would rather stay with us. Is that an option?
-No. All children present on campgrounds that are of the age of the program are asked to fully particpate in the program.
My Presvytera would love to come and can teach, cook, instruct and help out with the program.
-Your Presvytera and younger children (if attending) are a welcome addition to the camp!Your Presvytera and younger children are invited to be a part of the entire program, and are expected to join us at all meals, services and evening activities. In addition, there are many aspects of the program, such as traveling, that they will be included in. Please know that in the case that we need help either in the office or one of the departments, someone from the office will reach out to Presvytera. Also, we realize how precious your time is, and we encourage you and Presvytera to use your free time at camp as a retreat, a time for relaxation and renewal. Yes, you will have services, confession and OL, and there will be activities for you to participate in, but there will still be plenty of "you time" to enjoy together. It is our hope that you and Presvytera can use this time to truly enjoy your trip together!
What costs am I responsible for?
- Ionian Village covers your round trip airfare between JFK and ATH at the start and end of the program session you are serving. Any deviations from this must be approved in advance by the Director and are at your own expense. As we rely on our Medical Staff and Clergy to chaperone campers to and from Greece, please clear any additional travel in Greece prior to or after the program session dates with the Director.
Children of Clergy participating in Ionian Village as campers receive a 100% discount on the registration cost. Please note that this discount will be considered on an individual basis for Clergy with more than two children.
Ionian Village covers the round trip airfare for any additional family members of Clergy who wish to join you during your time at Ionian Village and are not participating as campers. Please note that this policy will be considered on an individual basis for Clergy with more than two children.
SUMMER CLERGY APPLICATION PROCESS
The Summer Clergy Application process includes the online application and the conference call. The application opens on December 26 and must be completed online. All supplemental documents must be received by the deadline of January 21, 2020. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
PART 1: THE ONLINE APPLICATION
In order to complete the following online application, please be prepared to:
- Read and understand the expectations of an Ionian Village Summer Clergyman.
- Allow yourself approximately 40 minutes to complete this application.
- Upload a photograph of yourself.
- Answer questions regarding your personal, employment, education, and camp history.
- Answer questions regarding your medical history, including vaccinations and medications.
- Respond to essay questions about why you feel you are ready to serve as an Ionian Village Summer Clergy.
PART 2: THE CONFERENCE CALL
Once we have received your application and your file is considered complete, you will be contacted by the Office of Ionian Village to set up a time for your conference call via Zoom with members of our Administration team.
Lastly, We ask you to keep in mind a few things while applying. Applying to be a Clergy Member at Ionian Village means you…
- Are ready to devote yourself fully not only to the mission of Ionian Village, but also to our campers and our faith
- Enjoy working with youth and encouraging them to grow in our faith
- Are able to dedicate an entire session, including Arrival and Departure Day responsibilities, to Ionian Village
- Are excited about traveling around Greece with teenagers, learning with them, and acting as a spiritual guide
- Are a dependable individual and exhibit good character
- Want to become a positive influence in the lives of our youth
- Work well with others in a close environment, knowing when to be a leader and when to be a follower
- Are ready to give 150% of your energy at all times
- Are ready to take on the intense and demanding physical commitment that is Ionian Village
- Can love those around you unconditionally
Clergy Applications will open on Dec 26th!