The Ionian Village Boys Director / Girls Director
are responsible for supporting the male / female cabin staff, respectively, at Ionian Village. The Boys Director and Girls Director run much of the communication and information moving in and out of the office between the Admin/Office Staff and the cabin Staff. Some of the key role requirements are: making camp-wide announcements, trip preparation, checking in with the daily/evening activities regarding both planning and execution, managing IVPD, participating in devotionals, and ultimately being a “staff for the staff.”
The ideal candidate is:
Professionally: Organized, Detail-oriented, receptive, timely, adaptable, fast learning.
Personally: Focused, positive, effective communicator, resourceful, creative.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Mandatory summer commitment: June 10 - August 12, 2023
- Must have previously served as a Staff Member at Ionian Village
- Must be 21 years or older by June 10, 2023
Working as the Boys Director or Girls Director for Ionian Village should not be viewed as a vacation. You will be expected to work a 24-hour day, 7 days a week while camp is in session. These positions work behind the scenes to make sure the camp runs smoothly and provides a high level experience for the campers of Ionian Village. While demanding, it is an extremely rewarding experience.
This position includes; round-trip airfare from JFK Airport in New York to Greece, meals, and accommodation while you are working during the camp sessions. Travel to New York is at your own expense. Any personal shopping while camp is in session is at your own expense. You are responsible for your own travel, lodging, and meals during the three day break in-between sessions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Boys Director and Girls Director responsibilities at Ionian Village include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in training conference calls before the summer, and thoroughly read camp manuals.
- Being the connection between the Admin team and the cabin staff. Having a deep understanding of staff needs and areas of improvement, and communicating to the Admin team.
- Constant interactions with cabin staff. Identifying successes and opportunities for growth among staff, and stepping in to advise and model exceptional cabin staff behavior.
- Managing the rules at Ionian Village, and holding staff accountable for following the practices and guidelines of the camp.
- Being out of the office and in with the program. Being a part of devotionals, sessions, activities, and trips, consistently advising and mentoring the staff so they are able to succeed in their role.
- Supporting the cabin Staff and Admin in the execution of daily camp activities. Additionally, being a mental and emotional support for the staff and helping them through the struggles that staff traditionally face over the summer.
- Executing portions of the program or orientations as needed by the Admin team.
- Support with preparation of camper Arrival and Departure days, and all travel days
- Any other duties specified by the Director.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Expectations of the Boys Director and Girls Director includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Be able and committed to work June 10th - August 12th, 2023. If you are accepted and are no longer to meet the needs of the program, please be prepared to resign your acceptance.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times, recognizing that we are guests of the Greek Government and representatives of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
- Be a positive Orthodox Christian role model for campers and others, which includes adhering to camp policies and rules, maintaining cleanliness, punctuality, sportsmanship, table manners, proper dress attire and Orthodox faith and morality.
- Ability to build rapport through your leadership.
- Model professional verbal and written communication skills with Admin, Cabin Staff, and Greek Staff.
- Excel under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- No alcohol, drugs or acting out of any kind.
- Exercise Extreme care in all interpersonal relationships involving staff members and campers.
- Unprofessional conduct will not be tolerated and may be grounds for dismissal.
- Must maintain a positive demeanor and be a positive voice at camp.
- Be able to take direction and constructive criticism.
STAFF APPLICATION PROCESS
The application process includes the online application and the conference call. The application opens on December 17, 2022 and must be completed online by the deadline of January 17, 2023. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
PART 1: THE ONLINE APPLICATION
In order to complete the following online application, please be prepared to:
- Read and understand the expectations of an Ionian Village Boys Director / Girls Director.
- Allow yourself approximately 40 minutes to complete this application.
- Upload a photograph of yourself.
- Answer questions regarding your personal, employment, education, and camp history.
- Answer questions regarding your medical history, including vaccinations and medications.
- Respond to essay questions about why you feel you are ready to serve Ionian Village.
PART 2: THE INTERVIEW
Once we have received your application and your file is considered complete, you will be contacted by the Office of Ionian Village to set up a time for your conference call with members of our Administration team.
Boys Director and Girls Director applications are now closed.